A little revenge on a thing we like to call the media.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

I have seen this book at the library hundreds of times, but never checked it out because I thought it looked a little boring. I finally saw it on sale for like three dollars at some bookstore and I bought it, and I am so glad I did. It was hilarious. The book wasn't so much focused on Colin's romantic life as his friendship with Hassan and their road trip. On their way to nowhere, they take a detour to visit the grave of Archduke Franz Ferdinand and end up meeting a tour guide named Lindsey Lee, and they hang out with her and her friends/family in Gutshot for a while. Colin and Hassan do lots of crazy things with Lindsey Lee and her family, and Hassan is the character that truly saves the book, because I have never laughed so hard as a book as I did when they were hunting hogs. Colin's footnotes are a little distracting/annoying sometimes, but overall they add a good amount to the book and provide some humor. The characters are pretty dynamic, and the dialogue is fantastic. The plot is well thought out and never boring, and as Colin seeks out a "Eureka" moment (as he is a teenaged prodigy) he discovers some things about himself as well. John Green said that his book is being turned into a movie, and he has been asked to adapt the book into a screenplay, so I look forward to that. Four and a half stars out of five.

1 comment:

Janna. said...

I almost bought this book the other day, but I'll be sure to check it out now.